Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Assistant Consultant
Ref No: 210005BU
Location: Ogoja, Cross River
Employee Status: Contingent
Team / Programme: WASH
Contract Length: 3 Months
- Level 3: T he post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking / vetting process staff.
- Under the direct supervision of the WASH Officer, the incumbent will be required to work as a member of the WASH unit towards the improvement of construction, hygiene promotion and community mobilization activities effectiveness, particularly as part of the WASH intervention, to safeguard and improve the public health of the affected population by promoting safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services; ensuring appropriate targeted community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities and sensitization.
Scope of the Role
- Reports to: WASH Officer
- Staff directly reporting to this post:0
- Budget responsibility: No
Key Areas of Accountability
- Assist in promoting safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services among refugee and host communities.
- Assist the community mobilizers to mobilize the communities to mitigate priority water and sanitation related health risks, promoting the BCC strategy and keeping records of the community volunteers participating in HP activities.
- Assist in communicating effectively with the communities targeted, ensuring that hygiene and health messages are passed on with participatory interventions, allowing ownership and empowerment of the beneficiaries to influence their hygiene and health.
- Assist in selecting, train, and manage Community WASH Standing committees, such as Community Water Management Committee members, sanitation facilities caretakers and volunteer hygiene promoter networks within the targeted beneficiaries.
- Participate in the HP campaign by conducting house to house visits focused on hygiene promotion and public health, focus groups and mass campaign using songs, posters, etc. promoting Community Lead Total Sanitation (CLTS) and PHAST methodology and assisting the community mobilizers in the implementation of gathering events.
- Provide a weekly activity progress report to the WASH Officer, highlighting achievements versus targets.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by WASH manager, WASH Coordinator and WASH Officer;
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct; health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures
Qualifications and Experience
- Education: HND / B.Sc Degree qualification in Health Education, Environmental / Civil / Construction Engineering or its equivalent
- Must have completed NYSC.
- At least 2 years experiences in hygiene promotion and construction activities in community based program
- Excellent communication skills and knowledge of English and other local languages;
- Good knowledge of participatory approaches for behavior change (PHAST / SARAR, CHAST, CLTS)
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- Ability to write clear reports
- Previous experience of work in the humanitarian sector.
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and local economy.
- Previous working experience in humanitarian/refugee response.
- Experience working in Emergencies
Skills and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Excellent communication skill
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
Additional Job Responsibilities
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety:
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Application Closing Date
2nd August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online