Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on agriculture, HIV and health extractives and governance, and peace building programming.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Officer
Requisition Id: 200000HO
Job: Program Management
Employee Status: Entry Level
Job Type: Full-time
Job Level: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 75 % of the Time
- Struggling to cope with more than 10 years of conflict, displacement and climatic and health shocks that have left millions in need of humanitarian assistance, Yobe State now faces the COVID-19 pandemic. Since the first confirmed case of COVID-19 in Nigeria on Feb. 27, 2020, the virus has spread to all corners of the country with more than 16,000 confirmed cases as of June 15, 2020.
- Northeast Nigeria saw its first confirmed case on April 18, 2020, and by early June 2020, more than 500 cases had been confirmed across the BAY states of Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe. In response to the health and socio-economic threat posed by COVID-19, the Government of Nigeria (GON) has mobilized a “whole of government” response via a National COVID-19 Multi-Sectoral Pandemic Response Plan.
- While just 55 COVID-19 cases have been confirmed in Yobe State as of June 23, 2020, the risk for extensive spread of the virus within the state is high due to the fragile humanitarian conditions, density and mobility of the population, and the limited capacity of the public health system to respond to a spike in critical health needs.
- In response to the risk posed by COVID-19, Catholic Relief Services (CRS), in partnership with Nigerian NGO NIRA, will implement a nine-month emergency project designed to empower communities to protect themselves and reduce transmission of COVID-19, through a robust Risk Communication and Community Engagement (RCCE) approach, complemented by investments in water supply infrastructure in communities and at health facilities and the distribution of critical water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) NFIs necessary to engage in infection prevention and control (IPC).
- The WASH Officer will play a key role in field-level implementation of project WASH activities, under the supervision of the WASH Team Leader.
- To improve access to water for hand hygiene, the project will rehabilitate water points and install handwashing stations at priority locations.
- Within target communities, the WASH Officer manage the distribution of COVID-19 WASH NFI kits.
- To promote infection prevention and control at health facilities, the WASH Officer, under the supervision of the WASH Team Leader, will supervise rehabilitation or upgrade of water supply systems, installation of handwashing stations, and distribution of cleaning kits.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- In coordination with the Program Manager and Procurement Officer and as per CRS standard procedures identify and assess contractors, construction suppliers, vendors of WASH NFIs, prepare contracts and documentation for works.
- Provide field supervision and timely reports to WASH Team Leader on construction progress and potential challenges to ensure high-quality and timely implementation.
- Ensure meaningful engagement with both community members to ensure cultural appropriateness and inclusion of vulnerable groups in the design, siting, and implementation of WASH activities.
- Monitor and support community workers and contractors in adhering to Health and Safety standards during construction activities, including COVID-19 prevention measures.
- Refer to project management tools for timely implementation of activities.
- Support the mobilization of key community stakeholders including the local partner, State Ministry of Health, health facility supervisors, community leaders, including women and youth leaders, in beneficiary communities in community engagement and consultation meetings
- Liaise with community leaders and other sectors and agencies working locally in order to coordinate within the WASH and Health sectors.
- Lead/support NFI distributions as requested.
- Support management of contractors to ensure high-quality and timely implementation.
- Monitor contractors’ work regularly to ensure specified quality and timely completion.
- Assist with designs and BOQ for water supply infrastructure rehabilitation that meets SPHERE standards and Cluster guidelines for quality.
- Use appropriate project management tools to plan, review and track progress on project implementation as well as on the utilization of project resources.
- Monitor project development and identify deviation from approved project plans and implement corrective measures when necessary to ensure that the partners meet the project objectives.
- Compile and submit timely weekly activity reports and monthly progress reports.
- English and Hausa required; Fulani, Kanuri and/or other local languages are a plus.
- Must be willing and able to travel up to 60% of the time to field locations in Gujba, Damaturu and Potiskum LGAs throughout the work-week.
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: WASH Team Leader, RCCE Officers, Community Liaisons Officer, Program Manager, MEAL staff, Head of Office for Yobe State, Operations staff.
- External: Works collaboratively with partner counterparts per LGA, as well as other stakeholders including focal points from local partners, local leaders and representatives of other local stakeholder groups, government offices, health facilities, non-governmental organizations and other agencies in field locations.
- High School Diploma required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum two years’ of practical experience working with a local or international NGO in WASH programming, including experience with WASH infrastructure activities.
- Demonstrated high-level interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to organize and prioritize a variety of initiatives.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs):
- Observation, active listening and analysis skills with the ability to make sound judgment.
- Good relationship management skills and the ability to work closely with local partners, community members and government partners.
- General knowledge of local and state government practices.
- Well-developed knowledge of local community cultures, leaders, customs and practices through prior involvement in the community. Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Attention to details, accuracy and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities
- Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Experience in participatory action planning and community engagement.
- Experience implementing projects through local partners.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
- These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Application Closing Date
28th August, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information / Notice
- Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
- This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
- CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
- CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer